Clothes Swapping is fast becoming one the most popular and fun ways to participate in the second-hand market. A swap event is an experience, where along with your clothes you share stories, laughs and time with other like-minded fashion lovers. It adds an extra layer of fun and whimsy to an event that’s already steeped in feel-good do-goodery for its powerful impact in reducing clothing waste.
The concept of a swap is pretty simple. Take one item you no longer wear and swap it with another person for something of theirs. By doing so, you give your unworn item a second chance at life and give a new lease of life to the item you swapped in. So not only are you fashionable, you’re also a saint.
Why should you swap?
Other than being sustainable, swapping clothes is a great way to keep your wardrobe fresh without spending extra cash. It can also help you:
- Experiment with new styles
- “Marie Kondo” your life (or at least your wardrobe!)
- Build a rotational wardrobe by swapping in, wearing and swapping back out.
- Build a curated wardrobe that’s 100% YOU and not “trend” driven.
How to start swapping:
If you’ve decided to try your hand at swapping, it can be hard to know where to start. Logically the concept of a swap is easy, but emotionally it becomes a little more difficult. Many of us form attachments to the clothes we own –through memories we have associated with them, or expectations we had of where we’d wear them – so how can you be sure that if you swap an item out that you won’t want it back?
The truth is you can’t be sure, but you can make an educated guess. If you have not worn this item in a while, consider the following:
- Have you worn this item in the last year?
- Does this item still fit?
- Do you have a specific event that you will wear this item to?
- Do you feel comfortable wearing this item?
- Does it suit your style right now?
If you’ve answered no to any of these questions, consider whether it is likely that this will change. If not, consider swapping out this item for something that you can answer a definitive YES to!
Take Small Steps
Like most things, it’s better to start small to see how you feel when swapping. Accessories such as bags, shoes or jewellery are ones we accumulate so many of and are the very items that most often end up unworn. This is especially true for accessories bought for events such as balls or weddings. Start your swap journey with of one of these items and test out how you feel once it’s done. Ask yourself the following questions:
- Do you miss the item you swapped out?
- Have you noticed that the item is no longer there?
- Are you unhappy with the item you got in exchange?
- If you had the item back would you actually wear it?
If your answer to most of these questions is no, then you’ve had a successful swap. Experiment some more with other similar items and then when you’re ready you can start trying it out more regularly and seeing how you can make a difference to your style and shopping habits.
Ready to give it a try? See how you can get started on Shuffle Swaps here.
Shuffle Swaps x